25 November, 2013

He makes everything Glorious

This week, while sort of in a "transition" or "interim" here in Chico, waiting for visas so we can go to Brazil, I have been staying at one of the DTS leader's homes. She's in Brazil with the team so the house is empty.

Last night, sitting down to dinner at the large table with just myself, I began to pretend. My husband sat across from me and our two kids on either side.

Before I started playing this, I prayed for my meal (which was weird cause I normally don’t pray for my meal. I honestly think it was because I was seated at a large table and I was in a home rather than a dorm.) I thanked you for my future family I would one day have- first praying by myself, then extending my hands (acting as if I were holding my husband’s hands across from me) and then extending my hands to the side (as if we had kids and were all praying together.)

I began having a conversation with my husband and with my kids. I told one of my kids that he didn't have to eat the sour orange he had just tried and complained about, I told my husband that we should put the kids to bed and make P-O-P-C-O-R-N and watch a M-O-V-I-E and cuddle on the couch. A little later into our dinner, plans changed, and spontaneously I said, “Hey, wanna go on a hike? It’s only 6, bedtime is at 8. There are stars in the sky and we have a flashlight!” The dishes could wait I decided and we would go on an adventure.

If you would have overheard my conversation, you probably would have thought I was crazy or insane. Or both. Most likely both. At one point I was laughing so much, I was just cracking myself up. Yes, this is a normal day in the life of Brittaney.                                                          

I realized something at one point, “I don’t want to be ‘over glorifying marriage and children.” I said out loud. But no, I wasn't. And I began to think- 

how can you over glorify marriage and children? 

Can you really? 

Yes, there are hard times, children scream and complain, sometimes there’s tension, but really- “over glorify” it? 

Marriage is a glorious thing. Children are a glorious thing. They both come from God right? And you know what? 

Being single is a glorious thing. 

So I thanked God for being single and for being able to sleep in until 10am and not be woken up by a husband who’s a morning bird or by children poking you in the eye.

Whatever stage of life I am in, that is glorious. 

Because God’s called me there and where he is, that’s where I want to be. That in and of itself is glorious.

          

No comments:

Post a Comment